No-deal Brexit: what should you do?
17 September 2019
I need YOU to help ME, so DFID can help YOU.
The government has stated its intention to leave the European Union on 31 October. It remains possible we could exit without a deal.
Nobody has a clear view on what this would mean for UK NGOs with EU contracts. One possibility is that our contracts are cancelled – putting the people who benefit from our services at risk of immediately losing support.
The Department for International Development (DFID) has agreed an assurance policy for UK NGOs to prevent this happening. The policy is open to UK NGOs and their downstream partners enabling them to continue to deliver programmes until they come to their planned end.
CARE and DFID
Working in collaboration with the sector, CARE has designed a fund for DFID to operationalise their assurance policy. Ahead of 31 October we are again preparing for the fund to go live.
Our contract with DFID requires us to:
- Provide DFID with policy advice on match funding, serious incident management and audit, considering the increased scale of the fund.
- Work across the UK INGO sector to ensure DFID knows how many NGOs will need access to funding, how much and when.
- Set up the Fund Management Unit at CARE.
Find out how to diversify your income at the Funding for Development Conference on 7 October
What can you do?
- Keep up to date with what is happening. The Bond EU Funding and Policy Group is where we are sharing all the fund information. Make sure you sign up and get information on the fund automatically.
- Let us know what funding you need. All projects first need DFID approval, then we can work with you on your cashflow needs. If you have not been involved in fund previously and do not have a letter of approval from DFID, please do contact them on [email protected].
If you already have DFID’s approval – most of you have – please return your data to us using this spreadsheet writing to [email protected]. We need your data by 20 September 2019.
- Get your questions answered. I’ll be at Bond’s Funding for Development Conference on 7 October with DFID to help clarify DFID's underwriting.
- Come join us. CARE is in the process of recruiting contract and finance staff to help us onboard all these projects. We would love to have staff from our sector seconded into the fund management unit. The job description is now live. Please send us an email if you’d like to discuss this opportunity.
For any questions, please contact [email protected]. We are here to make sure nobody from the sector gets caught out if we are faced with a no-deal Brexit.