The Volunteer Award finds exceptional people who have made an outstanding contribution to their organisation and the sector.
Volunteering in the international development sector ranges from weekend volunteering to working on programmes and in fundraising, to volunteering your expertise anywhere in the world.
“The award has enhanced awareness of the concept of International Twinning Partnerships between hospitals, led to invitations to speak about our work, helped to recruit volunteers, and led to support from potential donors and requests from other countries for help”
- Tim Eden of World Child Cancer, Volunteer Award winner 2018
Know an outstanding volunteer?
We are looking for a volunteer who has had a significant impact on NGOs' work and the people they seek to help. This individual has selflessly voluteered their time and energy to organisations that often could not survive without them.
This is your opportunity to nominate someone who has contributed by devoting their time, energy, passion and expertise to helping people in across the world. The individual could work for anyone in the humanitarian and international development community including NGOs, suppliers to the sector, community organisations or government organisations.
Entries will be judged on the following criteria:
- How compellingly you tell their story
- The outstanding contribution the individual has made to humanitarian or international development work
- Who and how many people were reached
- The individual's lasting impact on the lives of others
- How the individual's story has inspired others to act
How to enter
Deadline for entries: 5pm on Friday 28 September 2018.
There are two parts to the application.
- Submit up to three images of the nominee via the entry form (to be used in our communications).
- Complete the entry form. Here you can provide information about the individual and explain why you think they should win.
Please note, if shortlisted, we will contact you and ask for a testimonial video to be shown during the awards ceremony. Your entry will not be considered if we do not have both parts of the application.
Last year's winner and finalists
The judges selected three inspiring individuals as the finalists. The winner was announced at the awards ceremony on 26 February.
Winner: Tim Eden, childhood cancer specialist with World Child Cancer - "Professor Tim Eden, a UK childhood cancer specialist, has helped to improve and save the lives of thousands of children with cancer in the developing world."
Finalist: Ann Norris, volunteer with VSO - "Ann Norris’s passion and influence has truly changed the future for thousands of Albanians living with a disability."
Finalist: Shamim Abdullah, volunteer with Islamic Relief UK - "We see her as an inspiration and outstanding volunteer in the Islamic Relief family since 2013."