The Global Disability Summit is being held in London on 24 July 2018, co-hosted by the Department for International Development, the International Disability Alliance and the Government of Kenya.
The event will bring together more than 700 delegates from governments, donors, private sector organisations, charities and organisations of persons with disabilities.
This toolkit contains suggested tweets and social media graphics that you are welcome to use, but organisations are encouraged to come up with their own messages as well.
Social media toolkit
- #FamiliesNotOrphanages (for institutionalisation-related issues and causes)
Please make sure that hashtags are correctly capitalised (#NowIsTheTime rather than #nowisthetime) as this makes them readable by screen readers.
Suggested tweets to go alongside any graphic, or no graphic
- #NowIsTheTime to end discrimination against people with disabilities #DisabilitySummit
- The #DisabilitySummit is putting disability at the heart of development, with governments, donors, charities and more coming together to focus on this neglected issue #NowIsTheTime
- The #DisabilitySummit in London brings together more than 700 delegates from governments, donors, private sector organisations, charities and organisations of persons with disabilities #NowIsTheTime
- #MakeItCount at the #DisabilitySummit, where governments and organisations are coming together to raise global attention, mobilise for new commitments and share good practice and innovation #NowIsTheTime
Click on the buttons for correctly-sized graphics. You may need to right click and “save image as” to download the graphic.
Example tweet: #NowIsTheTime to ensure everyone is able to take an active part in their community #MakeItCount #DisabilitySummit
Example tweet: In developing countries, only 1 child with a disability in 10 goes to school – this needs to change. #NowIsTheTime to ensure everyone can get an education #DisabilitySummit
Source: UNICEF [PDF]
Example tweet: People with disabilities face the risk of abandonment and neglect, and often do not get equal access to food, healthcare, and other assistance during conflict. #NowIsTheTime to ensure they are supported during crises and emergencies #DisabilitySummit
Example tweet: #NowIsTheTime to ensure that everyone with a disability is supported, regardless of age, gender or background #DisabilitySummit
Source: WHO [PDF]
Example tweet: An estimated one billion people have a disability, of which 800 million live in developing countries. The #DisabilitySummit in London is raising awareness of disability and why it needs to be at the heart of development #NowIsTheTime #MakeItCount