Friday, May 31, 2019
This is a free online resource created to support development practitioners involved in monitoring and evaluation (M&E). It consists of a series of short papers (2-6 pages) on different subjects related to M&E that can be explored through an online platform.
The M&E Universe is designed for practitioners with different levels of experience and expertise, from those new to M&E who want an entry level into the subject to experienced practitioners wanting to broaden their knowledge.
The M&E Universe is divided into discrete areas of interest:
- Planning M&E: Planning is at the heart of the universe and provides an entry point for those who are relatively new to the world of M&E.
- Data collection: This section covers basic data collection methods such as interviews, focus group discussions, observation, as well as related issues such as sampling and the use of ICT in data collection.
- Complex methods of data collection and analysis: More complex methods used to collect and analyse data, such as: contribution analysis, most significant change, experimental methods, organisational assessment tools, qualitative comparative analysis and others.
- Data analysis: Methods and approaches for analysing M&E data, including both quantitative and qualitative analysis.
- Data use: This section deals with the different uses of M&E information, including learning, accountability, management and communications, and advice on how these uses affect the design of M&E systems.
- M&E functions: This section covers monitoring, evaluation, reviews, impact assessments and research, and explains how these interrelate; the evaluation section contains sub-sections on the different kinds of evaluations commonly in use.
You can read more about the thinking behind the M&E Universe here. Or use the link below to go directly to the resource.
Join the Bond Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Group to share learning and experiences with other practitioners to help improve the practice of MEL.
Bond offers a range of monitoring and evaluation courses to develop your skills: Introduction to monitoring, evaluation and learning, Theory of change essentials, Planning and practice in monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning.