2016 Internet Trends Report
Wednesday, June 1, 2016
The 2016 edition of Mary Meeker’s annual Internet Trends report covers today’s internet growth and an in-depth look at the following:
- Global internet users have surpassed three billion; India has supplanted the US as the world’s second-largest Internet market.
- Internet user growth remains consistent (led by acceleration in India), while smartphone user and shipment growth have slowed.
- In the face of a slowing global economy, key macro growth drivers from the past two decades are less certain.
- Internet advertising (particularly via mobile) continues to grow, but so does ad-blocking, pushing the envelope on development of more innovative ad formats.
- New online-first brands have rapidly grown in popularity for the millennial generation with their focus on omni-channel and personalised distribution strategies.
- In communication, video and images shared are growing as a means of storytelling; creators, consumers, and advertisers are taking part.
- Messaging has evolved from simple, expressive conversation to business-focused use cases, with Asian platforms often leading the way.
- More efficient and often more convenient than typing, voice-based interfaces are ramping quickly and creating a new paradigm for human-computer interaction.
- Transportation is being re-imagined, as the rise of car computerisation, autonomous driving, and sharing transform our understanding of mobility.
- Looking to China, internet leadership continues, as the country boasts global innovation powerhouses in e-commerce, messaging, travel, financial services, and on-demand transportation.
- The proliferation of data generated by a multitude of devices has fostered tremendous business opportunity, but privacy concerns abound.
Resource type: report