Introduction to monitoring, evaluation and learning
This one-day introduction is designed to increase your understanding of monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEL). It will stimulate ideas on how to design and implement monitoring and evaluation processes that strengthen accountability and learning, and so promote project, programme and strategy effectiveness.
The course uses a "do to learn" approach, using some of the tools that support MEL to deepen your knowledge and skills.
Who is it for?
It is suitable for people who are new to or have little experience of monitoring, evaluation and learning practice.
What you will learn
- What monitoring and evaluation mean.
- How they relate to learning, accountability, transparency, impact assessment and quality.
- Why MEL is done and who is interested.
- The frameworks, approaches and language that inform MEL planning.
- How to build MEL into your plans from the outset.
- What tools can be used for data collection, analysis and communication.
- How to understand what difference your work makes (evaluation).
1. The what and why of MEL
- What monitoring and evaluation mean
- How they relate to learning, accountability, transparency, impact assessment and quality
- Why MEL is done and who is interested
2. MEL frameworks and language
- Frameworks and approaches that inform MEL
- The language used in MEL
- The MEL cycle
3. A MEL plan
- Exploring key elements of a MEL plan
- Defining indicators
- What was easy, what was challenging, what did you learn?
- Tools for data collection, analysis and communication
- How to understand what difference your work makes
- Approaches and processes for doing evaluation
- Evaluation criteria, questions and standards
5. Practice in evaluating
- Completing a survey, analysing and communicating the findings
- Setting and defining criteria
- Drawing conclusions, making recommendations and communicating them
- Bond members >£2M annual spend
- Bond members <£2M annual spend
* 10% off if you book 8 weeks in advance; 5% off 3 or more bookings.
Contact us for special discounts if you're a student or unemployed.
off if you book early*
off multiple bookings*
In order to get the members' price, you will need to log in.
Tuesday, November 28, 2017
16 places remaining
Monday, March 19, 2018
18 places remaining