Introduction to international development
Our unique introductory course has been completely revised to reflect the latest thinking and practice in international development. This course quickly brings you up to speed with the most important global issues and emerging debates.
You will learn about the historical context to development work, the global balance of power and the major actors, as well as the current approaches to development and what makes for successful development work.
Who is it for?
This course is suitable for people who are new to international development, thinking of moving into the sector or wanting to gain a greater understand of the ‘bigger picture’. It is also appropriate for those wanting to refresh their knowledge of the theory and practice of development work.
A mix of real-life examples, group based discussion and practical activities will give you the confidence you need to start work in the sector
What you will learn
- Understand the historical context, theories and principles of development
- Learn about the global balance of power and the big players
- Identify the pros and cons of different approaces to development
- Evaluate the UK's role in development and discover how development is financed
- Explore the implications of climate change for development
- Learn how the Sustainable Development Goals will influence development
- Consider how the world of development will change and the implications for you and your organisation
- Introductions and expectations
- What is development?
- Development patterns and key players
- Approaches to development
- Financing development
- Recap and review of learning
- The UK's role in development
- Sustainability and climate change
- The Sustainable Development Goals
- The future of development
- Review and evaluation
- Bond members >£2M annual spend
- Bond members <£2M annual spend
* 10% off if you book 8 weeks in advance; 5% off 3 or more bookings.
Contact us for special discounts if you're a student or unemployed.
off if you book early*
off multiple bookings*
In order to get the members' price, you will need to log in.
10 places remaining
16 places remaining