Good safeguarding practice
This course will equip you to develop a robust approach to safeguarding in your organisation, including recommended policies, appropriate reporting and response procedures and improved ability to meet statutory and donor requirements. You will receive practical guidance on how to undertake risk assessments and develop an effective safeguarding framework under the guidance of our expert facilitators.
Take this course together with Managing safeguarding investigations for a complete approach to the management of safeguarding in your organisation.
We are currently redesigning this programme for online delivery, which will include live interactive online sessions, plus individual and group activities. Full details including session dates and times will be available shortly.
Who is it for?
Those with responsibility for developing and implementing safeguarding policies and procedures within their organisation, for example safeguarding leads or focal points, HR managers or designated safeguarding officers.
What you will learn
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Explain what safeguarding means in the context of the international development and humanitarian sectors, and why it is important
- Describe key safeguarding standards in the sector and their application to your organisation
- Outline the prevention, reporting, response and learning approach in safeguarding
- Conduct a safeguarding risk assessment for an organisation
- Review safeguarding policies and procedures for an organisation to identify gaps and steps to address these
- Identify steps to improve your organisation’s ability to meet donor requirements related to safeguarding
- Describe approaches for supporting downstream partners and contractors to improve safeguarding in programmes
- Contribute to an organisational culture that is supportive of safeguarding
This course will be delivered entirely online, through facilitated live sessions (using Zoom) as well as individual and group activities on the Bond learning platform. We work hard to make sure you get the same level of interaction and facilitator support as you would in our training room. You’ll work in breakout rooms, use case studies and co-create documents – all online.
- Safeguarding terminology, history and application in the development and humanitarian sector
- Identifying safeguarding concerns and preventative measures
- International safeguarding sector standards and guidelines
- Statutory, donor and Charity Commission requirements
- Developing a robust safeguarding framework that includes prevention, reporting, responding and learning from safeguarding concerns
- Using risk assessments to prevent concerns from arising
- Developing clear steps to respond to concerns appropriately
- Organisational culture and its impact on safeguarding
- Core safeguarding policies and practice required to manage safeguarding concerns
- Reviewing existing organisational policies and identifying gaps/risks
- Procedures to strengthen organisational safeguarding: recruitment, code of conduct, communications and content gathering, induction and training
- Challenges working with donor requirements and how to strengthen your organisation to address them
- Supporting downstream partners and contractors to improve safeguarding in programmes
- Action-planning based on organisational risk analysis and participant’s learning.
This course replaces our previous one-day Safeguarding essentials and Developing good safeguarding practice courses.
- Bond members >£2M annual spend
- Bond members <£2M annual spend
* 10% off if you book 8 weeks in advance; 5% off 3 or more bookings.
Contact us for special discounts if you're a student or unemployed.
off if you book early*
off multiple bookings*
15 places available