Good safeguarding practice
This online course will equip you to develop a robust approach to safeguarding in your organisation, including recommended policies, appropriate reporting and response procedures and improved ability to meet statutory and donor requirements. You will receive practical guidance on how to undertake risk assessments and develop an effective safeguarding framework under the guidance of our expert facilitators.
Take this course together with Managing safeguarding investigations for a complete approach to the management of safeguarding in your organisation.
Three half days of live interactive online sessions, plus individual work between the sessions.
Total time commitment over the period of the course is 15 hours:
- 10.5 hours of live online sessions
- 4.5 hours of self-paced activities
Who is it for?
Those with responsibility for developing and implementing safeguarding policies and procedures within their organisation, for example safeguarding leads or focal points, HR managers or designated safeguarding officers.
What you will learn
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Explain what safeguarding means in the context of the international development and humanitarian sectors, and why it is important
- Describe key safeguarding standards in the sector and their application to your organisation
- Outline the prevention, reporting, response and learning approach in safeguarding
- Conduct a safeguarding risk assessment for an organisation
- Review safeguarding policies and procedures for an organisation to identify gaps and steps to address these
- Identify steps to improve your organisation’s ability to meet donor requirements related to safeguarding
- Describe approaches for supporting downstream partners and contractors to improve safeguarding in programmes
- Contribute to an organisational culture that is supportive of safeguarding
This course will be delivered entirely online, through facilitated live sessions (using Zoom) as well as individual and group activities on the Bond learning platform. We work hard to make sure you get the same level of interaction and facilitator support as you would in our training room. You’ll work in breakout rooms, use case studies and co-create documents – all online.
All live session times refer to Greenwich Mean Time (GMT). Check the live session start and end time in your timezone here (please ensure you choose the right date when checking timezones).
Pre-course activity: approximately 45 minutes' additional work required before live session 1
Live session 1: Monday 25 January 2021, 9.30 - 13.00 GMT
- Safeguarding definitions and terminology
- What constitutes a safeguarding concern?
- International safeguarding sector standards and guidelines
- The safeguarding cycle
Individual work between sessions: Risk mapping
Live session 2: Wednesday 27 January 2021, 9.30 - 13.00 GMT
- Risk mapping
- Procedures to mitigate risk: recruitment, induction and training, accountability and governance, complaints and reporting mechanisms, dealing with reports
- Developing an organisational culture
- Statutory and donor requirements
- Challenges working with donor requirements and how to strengthen your organisation to address them
Individual work between sessions: Review your organisation's policies and procedures
Live session 3: Friday 29 January 2021, 9.30 - 13.00 GMT
- Reporting and responding to safeguarding concerns
- Supporting downstream partners and contractors to improve safeguarding in programmes
- Action-planning based on organisational risk analysis and participant’s learning
This course replaces our previous one-day Safeguarding essentials and Developing good safeguarding practice courses.
Bookings will close at 15:00 GMT the last working day before the course to enable us to email participants the joining instructions ahead of the first live session.
- Bond members >£2M annual spend
- Bond members <£2M annual spend
* 10% off if you book 8 weeks in advance; 5% off 3 or more bookings.
Contact us for special discounts if you're a student or unemployed.
off if you book early*
off multiple bookings*
Monday, January 25, 2021 to Friday, January 29, 2021
1 places available