Building inclusive cultures
Organisations working in the international development sector are realising the urgent need to reflect on the role they play in upholding systems and structures that perpetrate inequity, discrimination and exclusion and reform their own practices and policies. This course provides a deeper understanding of equity, diversity and inclusion (EDI) within the international development sector and explores practical strategies and ways of working that you can use to support the creation of inclusive environments in your organisation.
Three half days of live interactive online sessions, plus asynchronous work between the sessions.
Total time commitment over the period of the course is 19 hours:
- 9 hours for the live course content
- 9 hours for self-directed and group learning
- 1 hour for the 3-month community check-in
Who is it for?
For those who are ready to start, or have just started, on their journey to transforming their cultures, and who would value support on this journey. Take this course if you are responsible for culture change in your organisation or want to support the creation of an inclusive environment, including:
- HR managers/officers
- Roles with responsibility for organisational culture
- Those who have recently been given responsibility for EDI
- People managers wanting to contribute to making the workplace more inclusive
- Senior leaders or board members with responsibility for/interest in EDI
What you will learn
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Have an increased self-awareness of personal biases, power and privilege, and the environment needed for inclusion
- Identify practical actions in your own area of work and the wider organisation that can lead to a more inclusive culture.
- Feel confident to have courageous conversations about inclusion
- Building strong accountability mechanisms, including developing an outline action plan with measures of progress
This course is delivered entirely online. You will take part in facilitated live sessions, and complete individual and group activities in preparation for the live sessions and between each module, under the guidance of our expert facilitator.
You will have access to a community forum, curated learning resources, tools and templates, and a reflection journal to support you as you progress through the course.
You will also attend a community follow-up call three months after the completion of the course, which will provide a chance to reengage with your learning cohort and share updates on your organisation’s journey to building more inclusive cultures.
All live session times are in accordance to Greenwich Mean Time (GMT). Check the live session start and end time in your timezone here (please ensure you choose the right date when checking timezones).
Pre-course activity: Approximately 3 hours' individual work required before live session 1
Live session 1: Thursday 18 November 2021, 10.00 - 13.30 GMT
Module 1: Foundations for inclusion
This module will focus on increasing your understanding of key ideas and concepts around inclusion and equity, and your ability to engage in dialogue around these topics. Topics in this module will include
- The role of Power and Privilege
- Understanding Bias
- Psychological Safety for inclusion
Intersession group task: 3 hours work
Live session 2: Thursday 25 November 2021, 10.00 - 13.30 GMT
Module 2: Behaviours for inclusion
This module will focus on identifying behaviours needed to build more inclusive and equitable cultures in organisations. Topics in this module will include:
- Leading for inclusion
- Building an inclusive team
- How to have courageous conversations
Intersession group task: 3 hours work
Live session 3: Thursday 2 December 2021, 10.00 - 13.30 GMT
Module 3: Tools for inclusion
This module will focus on the processes, policies, structure, and systems organisations need to have in place to build and maintain inclusive cultures. Topics in this module will include:
- Building a EDI action plan
- Creating and socialising inclusive policies and procedures
- Creating accountability mechanisms for success
Check course times for your timezone here (please ensure you choose the right date).
Bookings will close at 15:00 GMT the last working day before the course to enable us to email participants the joining instructions ahead of the first live session.
- Bond members >£2M annual spend
- Bond members <£2M annual spend
* 10% off if you book 8 weeks in advance; 5% off 3 or more bookings.
Contact us for special discounts if you're a student or unemployed.
off if you book early*
off multiple bookings*
Thursday, November 18, 2021 to Thursday, December 2, 2021
7 places available