The Education Partnerships Group (EPG) is looking for a highly motivated and capable candidate to play a leadership role as part of its Programmes Team and drive the delivery of a high quality portfolio of work.
About Ark’s Education Partnerships Group
Incubated within UK education charity, Ark, the Education Partnerships Group (EPG) is an international not-for-profit consultancy that partners with governments to shape and strengthen their education systems. We believe that every child has the right to a high-quality education, wherever they go to school. We also believe that that the world cannot afford to lose another generation of children to the education crisis. Our vision is that every government is equipped to ensure that every child goes to school and learns.
Today, EPG works in six countries, five of which are in Sub-Saharan Africa: South Africa, Uganda, Ghana, Sierra Leone, Cote d’Ivoire, and Cambodia.
We work directly with governments on reforms at the system level. We prioritise being contextually relevant – taking into account the political, cultural and social landscape in the countries where we work. We strive for our work to be evidence-based and aim to use what we learn to refine our support and inform global debate.
EPG is looking for a highly motivated and capable candidate to join its growing team. The successful candidate will play a leadership role in the organisation, working with the Director of Programmes in the design, oversight, and quality assurance of a portfolio of work across a range of country partners; manage and support a small team of programme staff; ensure all projects are rigorously monitored and evaluated to maximizing learning; and provide financial oversight across country budgets.
The right candidate will be passionate about education and working with governments and will find EPG an exciting and entrepreneurial environment. They will see this role as an opportunity to have a positive impact on the lives of children. This role is based in London with international travel (indicatively 35% time).
- Work closely with the Director of Programmes in the development of a coherent portfolio of work within and across countries with attention to strategic ambition, risk management, robust evidence generation and sound budget management.
- Be an active member of the Programmes Leadership Team, ensuring cross team learning, troubleshooting, and support colleagues as required.
- Support the development and maintenance of relationships with funders; identify sources of funding in countries in which we’re working.
- Lead a team of programme staff based around the world to design and deliver – in close partnership with governments - high quality policy-related projects, including -
- Overseeing the development and management of trusting relationships with multiple governments in order to ensure a context specific and collaborative approach to project design;
- Work closely with technical staff, including the Senior Technical Advisor, to design projects that have a robust evidence base and are focused on improving the quality of educational services;
- Quality assure all aspects of the delivery of projects, including the project management, monitoring and evaluation, financial management, and quality of outputs;
- Support the internal learning of the organisation by championing the use of comprehensive monitoring frameworks as part of the day to day management of programmes;
- Provide strategic insight and guidance to Programme Managers in order to deliver a consistent and coherent portfolio of work;
- Trouble shoot and mitigate risks to specific projects and overall portfolio.
- Line manage a team of programme staff against programme objectives and the personal and professional development of individuals.
- Lead a variety of internal project teams seeking to strengthen EPG’s overall strategy and plans.
- Keep abreast of the latest global and national research, news and trends in education, development and country/client contexts, and to share this information with relevant stakeholders.
Essential requirements for the candidate are:
- Significant professional experience in international development or international consulting, including experience in leading the design and delivery of projects;
- Experience working directly with governments
- An understanding of policy development and public sector delivery
- Excellent relationship management skills especially with leaders in government and non-government institutions;
- A strong track record in complex, end to end, project management, particularly in in low- or middle-income countries;
- Excellent written, communications, and presentation skills in English;
- Experience in analysing and interpreting data, including familiarity with research and evaluation methodologies
- Experience in leading and managing small and agile teams.
Desirable skills and experience include:
- Experience in research and evaluation design and delivery
- Knowledge and/or experience in the role of non-state actors in the provision of basic services;
- Experience working on programmes aimed at strengthening accountability in school systems;
- Formal training in microeconomics;
- Fluency or advanced language capabilities in French.
Consulting Projects and programmes
Please mention Bond when you apply for this position.