Girls Not Brides is seeking an exceptional Safeguarding Manager to take a leading role in safeguarding processes across the organisation.
This newly-created role will be responsible for the strategic development of our safeguarding framework, overseeing the effective implementation of our safeguarding policies and processes, and providing safeguarding expertise for our staff and members. The successful candidate will have an impressive track record of working in safeguarding, preferably within the voluntary sector and across an international context.
Girls Not Brides
Girls Not Brides is the only global partnership entirely focused on creating and sustaining a worldwide movement to end child marriage, and ensuring that this movement leads to tangible change for the girls at risk or affected by the practice. We are a network of more than 1,200 civil society organisations in over 100 countries, all committed to working in partnership to end child marriage. Our vision is a world without child marriage where girls and women enjoy equal status with boys and men, and are able to achieve their full potential in all aspects of their lives.
Our members are diverse. They vary in size, location, and the type of work they do. They include groups focused on research and advocacy as well as programme implementers and service providers working directly in their communities. Our members address the issue of child marriage from various perspectives, including health, women’s and girls’ rights, child protection, education, economic empowerment and general development.
The global partnership is supported by the Girls Not Brides secretariat with teams in UK (London), Mexico, Kenya, India and Senegal and has an annual budget of approximately £5 million. The secretariat coordinates and supports the activities of the Global Partnership in line with our 2017-2020 strategy, which was developed in consultation with 500 members and partners.
The Secretariat plays three broad roles in relation to our membership:
- A central support and coordination body for the only global civil society partnership to end child marriage.
- A representative of and advocate for civil society on efforts to end child marriage.
- An expert resource on child marriage, and central actor in the global movement to end child marriage.
Safeguarding policy and strategy development
- Provide expert support and advice on all aspects of safeguarding across Girls Not Brides.
- Support the Board of Trustees and Management Team in embedding a robust safeguarding culture throughout the organisation.
- Review, design and implement effective safeguarding systems, policies and processes throughout Girls Not Brides.
- Ensure Girls Not Brides understands and complies with relevant regulatory and legal obligations and international safeguarding best practice.
- Work alongside Members, National Partnerships and other relevant partners to review and support their safeguarding processes.
Training and capacity building
- Design and deliver a safeguarding training programme for staff and trustees, tailored to particular roles and responsibilities.
- Design and deliver a safeguarding training programme, guidelines and a resource bank for Girls Not Brides Members, National Partnerships and other relevant partners, which can be adapted to different contexts.
- Source and coordinate external safeguarding training for staff and partners, as relevant.
- Regularly review and update training programmes to reflect changing contexts and best practice.
- Proactively identify and appropriately address any potential safeguarding risks across the organisation.
- Develop and carry out due diligence checks for potential partners, including through in-person visits.
- Ensure ongoing compliance with safeguarding policies and procedures across the organisation.
- Support teams across Girls Not Brides with devising safeguarding risk assessments and ensure appropriate safeguarding measures are in place for any events, trips or other activities involving young people or vulnerable people.
- Ensure that appropriate background checks are carried out on all staff.
- Address and manage safeguarding issues, consulting with the Safeguarding Committee (comprised of trustees and senior staff), and liaising with partners and external agencies, as relevant.
- Coordinate Safeguarding Committee meetings and manage agreed follow-up actions.
- Oversee effective safeguarding referral processes to appropriate external bodies.
- Research and become familiar with safeguarding reporting mechanisms in varied countries, as necessary and support members with using the appropriate mechanisms.
- Closely monitor all safeguarding issues and organisations or individuals of concern, including overseeing quarterly reviews of all safeguarding issues.
- Oversee the secure recording of sensitive safeguarding information to ensure compliance with data protection requirements.
- Matrix-manage the Safeguarding Focal Points and other relevant roles as the organisation develops.
- Ensure Girls Not Brides offers appropriate support to those affected by safeguarding issues.
Networking and learning
- Identify and mentor Safeguarding Champions across the secretariat and partnership.
- Build positive relationships across our membership and the wider sector to share expertise and build a widespread culture of effective safeguarding.
- Share organisational learning with varied partners to enhance their safeguarding knowledge and practise.
- Represent Girls Not Brides at external safeguarding training sessions, meetings and conferences.
- Incorporate ongoing training and learning into Girls Not Brides’ safeguarding policies and processes.
All staff members must:
- Commit to the mission and vision of Girls Not Brides, putting them at the forefront of all planning, work and actions.
- Uphold the core values of Girls Not Brides in all areas of work and interactions with colleagues, members, partners and other stakeholders.
- Comply with Girls Not Brides policies and processes, with particular note for safeguarding, the code of conduct and data protection.
- Ensure that internal databases and monitoring information are kept fully up-to-date.
- Commit to ongoing personal development and learning.
- Fulfil any other reasonable requests for the advancement of Girls Not Brides.
- Strong commitment to the rights and protection of young people and vulnerable people.
- Significant professional experience in a safeguarding role, including assessing a wide variety of safeguarding risks, managing safeguarding issues, and developing and implementing policies and procedures.
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent level of education plus extensive safeguarding training to designated safeguarding officer level.
- In-depth knowledge of best practice in safeguarding including familiarity with Charity Commission guidance, international safeguarding standards and recent developments in the voluntary sector.
- Highly developed relationship-building skills with the proven ability to influence others and successfully embed new ways of working across organisations.
- Experience of designing and delivering engaging training for varied audiences.
- Ability to securely and sensitively manage confidential information including designing relevant case management processes.
- Skilled team worker with an inclusive and collaboration approach, in line with Girls Not Brides values.
- Skilled decision-maker, able to think analytically, pragmatically and act with integrity.
- Strong strategic thinking and problem solving skills and ability to appraise options and adapt plans as required.
- Ability to manage difficult conversations and emotionally demanding situations with sensitivity and compassion.
- Highly organised with excellent information and database management skills.
- Eagerness to maintain and develop knowledge and skills through regular training and professional development.
- Excellent written and spoken English with an eye for accuracy and attention to detail.
- Willingness to work flexibly and travel internationally, sometimes at short notice.
- A relevant post-graduate qualification.
- Experience of working in the international not-for-profit sector.
- Experience of gender-based issues.
- Proficiency in French or Spanish.
At Girls Not Brides, we are committed to the wellbeing, empowerment and rights of children, and to safeguarding children from harm in all of our activities. Girls Not Brides aims to promote an environment of trust and understanding where the welfare of children is paramount. You will adhere to the Girls Not Brides Child Safeguarding Policy and its Code of Conduct and report any concerns relating to the safeguarding of children in accordance with agreed procedures.
Our core values
London and the southeast
Central London, with regular international travel
Human resources Management Projects and programmes Safeguarding Training
We are an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons. To apply, please send your CV and a brief cover letter demonstrating how you meet the criteria for this position to [email protected] by 23:00 GMT on 28th October 2019 clearly stating “Safeguarding Manager” and your name in the subject line.
First round interviews will take place in mid-November in our London office.
Please mention Bond when you apply for this position.