The purpose of the role is to lead the coordination of Bond’s safeguarding activities with Bond member organisations and to develop and deliver improvements to Bond’s internal HR policies and processes.
Job Title: Safeguarding and HR Adviser
Salary: From £38,218
Contract Type: Fixed-term until December 2021
Reporting to: Business and Operations Manager
Accountability: Internally to Bond’s senior management and externally to Bond’s members.
About Bond and the role
Bond is the UK network for organisations working in international development. We unite and support a diverse network of over 400 civil society organisations to help eradicate global poverty, inequality and injustice. We strengthen and champion the sector to make international development more efficient and effective. We work to influence governments and policy-makers, develop the skills of people in the sector, share expertise, and build organisational capacity and partnerships.
The safeguarding and HR adviser will lead the coordination and deliver Bond’s safeguarding work to secure sector-wide improvements in the quality and consistency of safeguarding in development assistance and humanitarian aid; and will be responsible for developing and delivering improvements to Bond’s internal HR policies and processes.
Bond is looking for candidates with safeguarding and HR experience.
Main purpose of the job
The purpose of the role is to lead the coordination of Bond’s safeguarding activities with Bond member organisations and to develop and deliver improvements to Bond’s internal HR policies and processes
Bond’s work on safeguarding
- With oversight from the Business and Operations Manager, lead the coordination of Bond’s safeguarding work, and the delivery of activities, outputs and outcomes, in line with grant requirements.
- Provide logistical support for safeguarding expert group and Bond member engagement.
- Provide logistical support for safeguarding working group.
- Lead engagement with Bond members on safeguarding practices and support needs, including gathering and analysing data about members' safeguarding practice, investment and resources.
Provide communications and engagement opportunities on safeguarding
- Regularly communicate sector news or updates on safeguarding via multiple channels (newsletters, social media, blogs, etc.), including on regulator or donor requirements and policy/government news, to keep the sector informed.
- Work with events manager to develop the programme and support the delivery of Bond safeguarding events or webinars, including design of sessions on safeguarding at Bond’s annual conference.
Provide resources, skills development, signposting and guidance for different types/sizes of organisation
- With oversight from the Business and Operations manager, develop and deliver a clear and sustainable safeguarding support offer for Bond members, likely to comprise resources, guidance, information, training, events, plus potentially other online services.
- Work with Bond’s communication team to develop and regularly update relevant content on safeguarding for Bond’s website and members’ area, so Bond’s members, large and small, have access to useful resources and signposting.
- Support and feed into the development and delivery of Bond’s safeguarding training.
- Represent the sector and share learning within and beyond the sector to other CSO platforms and other service providers.
- Support and coordinate engagement with other actors and identify opportunities of collaboration, to strengthen safeguarding practice and align activities where possible.
- Contribute to briefings on safeguarding activities and progress to Bond management team, particularly in relation to media opportunities and to engagement with key external stakeholders.
Provide HR advice and guidance internally to support Bonds HR improvements
- Liaise with Bonds external legal HR advice suppliers and adapt advice to fit with Bonds ethos and ways of working.
- Work with the Operations team to ensure relevant HR policies and processes are in place to support Bond as employees continue to work more remotely in the long term.
- Leading and supporting on long term cultural changes to improve the employee experience at Bond
- Experience of safeguarding issues, policies, practices and risks, ideally within the humanitarian and development sector.
- Enthusiasm and commitment to work with NGOs to enable them to become more effective in their safeguarding practice.
- Experience of leading engagement activities, particularly of facilitating learning and/or experience of organising and facilitating events and meetings.
- Experience of developing resources or learning materials.
- Experience of developing HR policies and processes in line with good practice.
- Experience of project management, and strong organising and administrative ability.
- Able to communicate with people at all levels
- Able to influence across the organisation and Bond’s membership
- Able to take initiative
- Able to work collaborative, taking a lead where appropriate
Bond offers a competitive salary and benefits package including:
- Interest free season ticket loan
- 27 days leave as standard for all employees. Additional staff privilege days, normally the period between Christmas and New Year
- 7% pension contributions (staff pay 3.5%)
- Flexible working hours
London and the southeast
London, currently home based
Human resources Safeguarding
How to apply
To apply submit your CV and cover letter outlining why you are the right candidate for this role by midnight 1st November 2020.
Please note that this advert may close early if a large number of applicants are received.
We plan to hold the interviews the w/c 2nd November, so please bare this in mind.
Bond and equal opportunities
Bond values diversity and works to advance equality. We encourage and welcome applicants from all sections of the community. In order to assess and ensure the continued effectiveness of Bond’s Equal Opportunities Policy, all applicants are asked to complete a short questionnaire when applying. You are not obliged to answer the questions but the more information you supply the more effectively we can monitor our equal opportunity practices. Completion of all questions is voluntary and failure to answer any question(s) will not affect your application in any way.
The information you supply will be treated in confidence and will not be seen by any member of the selection panel responsible for the appointment. The questionnaire will be detached from your CV and cover letter, stored anonymously and used purely to provide statistics for monitoring purposes.
Please mention Bond when you apply for this position.