PEAS is looking for a talented Lead to steer our global M&E work and contribute to the work of the Technical Team. This is an exciting role for someone to own and shape a highly-valued area of work at an NGO with a strong impact track record.
PEAS is a UK-based charity with a mission to ‘expand access to sustainably delivered, quality secondary education across Africa’. We currently operate a network of 32 schools across Uganda and Zambia educating over 15,000 marginalised students, and are one of the fastest growing, not-for-profit school networks in Africa. Our sustainable operating model has also been getting attention – in 2013, PEAS was recognised as Charity of the Year and won a WISE Award for Innovation in Education. PEAS is a data-driven organisation, and is committed to using monitoring and evaluation data to continuously inform, improve, and validate our work to expand quality secondary education in Africa.
About this Role:
We are looking for a Monitoring & Evaluation Lead to steer PEAS’ global Monitoring & Evaluation work and contribute to the work of the Technical Team. The PEAS Technical Team is a small team of experts who work to continually strengthen PEAS’ impact across our network of schools and beyond. Our workstreams span technical advice and quality assurance to our country programmes; commissioning research to support programme learning; technical advice to external organisations to extend PEAS’ impact on improving education access and quality; and advocacy work to share PEAS’ best practices and learnings with the global education sector.
This is an exciting role for someone to own and shape a highly-valued area of work at a charity with a strong impact track record and commitment to on-going improvement. The successful candidate will have demonstrated experience of implementing monitoring and evaluation systems and/or undertaking high-quality data analysis, and working in diverse teams. The candidate will be a quick learner, highly organised, and adept at working flexibly to support evolving team and organisational needs. Strong Excel skills are essential, coupled with good written and verbal communication, and a passion for education in Africa.
Purpose and responsibilities of the role:
Technical assistance to country M&E teams (40%)
- Support the design and implementation of new M&E projects or initiatives with country teams based on an understanding of PEAS’ global priorities and international evidence and best practice - an example project in 2019 is development of digital School Information System for use across Uganda and Zambia
- Work with M&E Leads in Uganda and Zambia to deliver joint projects, develop annual activity plans and define joint projects
Team training & professional development (10%)
- Build capacity of PEAS Uganda and Zambia team members through designing 2-3 dedicated trainings annually
- Provide trouble-shooting support to country M&E team members with data collection or analysis on an emerging, needs basis
Global impact data analysis & systems improvement (20%)
- Support UK and country team members to synthesise findings from both external and in-house research and data analysis, and use this information in programme design and planning
- Develop ideas for and implement new, global M&E development projects and/or systems in line with sector best practice and evolving organisational needs
- Oversee the organised and secure storage and sharing of M&E data with relevant staff members
- Conduct secondary research to identify key benchmarking and contextual data
External reporting & evaluation management (20%)
- Oversee management of external evaluations required as part of grant agreements, including management of large-scale, multi-year evaluations such as the DfID Girls Education Challenge-Transition evaluation (running from 2017-2021)
- Collect and consolidate data and information as and when required for different stakeholders, including PEAS staff and external audiences, such as funders and partners
Support to technical team projects (10%)
- Support technical team through conducting research and gathering evidence to inform programme design and/or proposal development on needs basis
- Support technical team with organisational knowledge development, including, for example, drawing together content for regular internal newsletters on sector developments, and maintaining database of key statistics
- Support team with occasional consulting and/or advisory projects related to areas of expertise as part of PEAS’ emerging ‘co-impact’ workstream
Essential knowledge and experience
- 3-5 years’ professional experience in an M&E or data analysis role
- BA or above, or equivalent professional experience in a discipline related to the role
Desirable knowledge and experience
- Experience working in developing country contexts and across cultures
- Experience working with staff in multiple locations and maintaining effective communications
- Experience disseminating learning to diverse audiences and stakeholders
- Experience mentoring or training staff, ideally from different countries and/or cultural backgrounds
- Knowledge of current development agenda and issues impacting education in Africa
Essential skills and abilities
- Excellent MS Excel skills
- Strong data analysis and presentation skills, with demonstrated ability to produce reports
- Strong writing and communication skills
- Ability to work under own initiative or in a team to complete complex projects
- Ability to work efficiently under pressure to meet tight deadlines
Desirable skills and abilities
- Expertise in using STATA, SPSS, or other statistical analysis packages
Values and approach
Anyone we hire will be able to demonstrate their alignment with PEAS’ values, which are:
- Focus on lasting change: Our work should benefit students and communities now and for generations to come and so sustainability is core to everything we do. We take into account the wider consequences of what we do, because what matters is maximum long term impact across society.
- Be collaborative not competitive: We put true impact before personal or organisational glory. We collaborate within and beyond the organisation to maximise collective impact
- Be honest: Trust and integrity are everything. We are transparent about our impact and programmes. We don’t support corruption. We don’t pay bribes. We don’t receive bribes.
- Champion empowerment: We hold each other to account. We maximise autonomy by providing high quality support to decision-makers throughout the organisation.
- Be entrepreneurial: PEAS was founded with an entrepreneurial spirit and it is embedded in who we are. We are nimble, ready to respond to new opportunities and challenges. We are not afraid of taking risks and leading the way.
- Adopt a growth mindset: We continually push ourselves to improve. We appreciate and learn from mistakes which we see as a necessary side effect of striving for ever growing impact.
- Look at the evidence: Evidence can be scarce in our sector. We strive to make use of the available evidence while also contributing our own. Our decisions are based on research and data combined with our practical experience.
Everyone who works in the PEAS UK team must be fluent in English and have a valid permission to work in the UK.
London and the southeast
Monitoring, evaluation and learning Projects and programmes
Please apply via the form at this link: https://peasglobal.wufoo.com/forms/ztebq0n02uoarz/
Only complete applications will be reviewed and only qualified candidates will be shortlisted and contacted.
PEAS is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its recruitment practices and, in order to build the strongest possible workforce, actively seeks a diverse applicant pool.
Closing date for applications: Monday, 29th April at 09:00 (UK time); first-round interviews will be held on Tuesday 7th May or Wednesday 8th May, with second-round interviews on Monday, 13th May
Please mention Bond when you apply for this position.