We are looking for an experienced specialist Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) professional who is passionate about strengthening entrepreneurs and leaders to drive inclusive economic and social change.
About Mowgli Mentoring
Mowgli Mentoring is a specialist mentoring organisation which aims to unlock human potential that accelerates prosperity. We are focused on strengthening entrepreneurs and leaders to grow more successful and sustainable businesses that drive inclusive economic and social change. We do this through training and capacity building effective mentors who are inspired and equipped to build and nurture mentoring relationships that drive and strengthen entrepreneurial and leadership growth.
Our consultancy services and cohort-based programmes combine face-to-face, blended and online delivery modalities to facilitate mentor training, mentor-mentee matching, mentoring practice and relationship support. We have trained over 1,300 mentors who have directly mentored over 1000 entrepreneurs and corporate leaders, including refugees, women and youth. Primarily focused on the Middle East and Africa, Mowgli Mentoring works with local and international governments, foundations and private sector partners like Argidius Foundation, MAVA Foundation, FCO/DFID, European Union, Norwegian Refugee Council, UN Women, the World Bank and many more. We collaborate with other specialist organisations working to support entrepreneurship and leadership development to further enhance mentoring effectiveness and strategic outcomes. We have offices in Bristol, UK and Nairobi, Kenya and a satellite presence in Morocco and Lebanon. More information about Mowgli Mentoring is on our website, and in our 10 year Impact Report.
About the role
We are looking for an experienced specialist Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) professional who is passionate about strengthening entrepreneurs and leaders to drive inclusive economic and social change. Our M&E Manager will be a self-starter and the champion and custodian of Mowgli Mentoring’s theory of change, M&E framework, approach and evidence base.
Reporting to the Head of Programmes, you will further develop our M&E strategy and lead its implementation across the organisation, as we expand our work globally, innovate within the offline/online space, build the evidence base of mentoring, and partner with others to integrate mentoring into their services and programmes. You will lead on M&E and reporting for a range of client-funded programmes, from designing and developing project-specific theories of change, M&E frameworks and tools, through to data collection, analysis, distilling of learning, and preparing narrative reports. A key feature of this role is working with, and building the capacity of, project managers/ coordinators, to ensure robust and strategic M&E and data collection/ analysis across project cycles - and ensuring learning is captured, distilled and embedded in our future programme delivery. Some occasional international travel could be envisaged for this role.
- Lead on the development and implementation of Mowgli Mentoring’s M&E strategy, framework and approach, with support from and in collaboration with the CEO and Head of Programmes
- Work collaboratively with the project delivery team to ensure that data is collected, analysed, synthesised and reported in a manner which meets the highest internal and client standards
- Ensure programme effectiveness and impact is communicated in a meaningful way with our stakeholders, through a variety of means and channels, in consultation with the business development and communications teams
- Lead on the design, implementation and management of a robust framework for collection, collation and analysis of multiple datasets at baseline, mid-line, and endline stages, ensuring that project managers/ coordinators are equipped to play a key role in the M&E of their projects
- Distill insights into lessons learnt and actions to inform decision-making and continuous improvement
- Design and lead on research projects that seek to test and refine our mentoring model and build the evidence base for mentoring
- Lead on the development/enhancement of our information and knowledge management processes and support the wider team in developing their M&E expertise
- Maintain an up-to-date understanding of best practices in M&E in our sector, drawing key learning and emerging/ relevant approaches into the organisation
- In collaboration with colleagues in project management and business development, lead on M&E and reporting in line with client/ project-specific requirements
- Manage data/ reporting confidentiality across the organisation, ensuring compliance with the General Data Protection Regulation.
- Contribute to team meetings, events and initiatives.
- Any other task as requested by line manager commensurate with the broad remit of this post.
Person specification - required experience, skills and attributes
- Degree or comparable qualification in a relevant discipline, e.g. social sciences, economics, international development (a relevant post-graduate qualification would be a distinct advantage)
- 4+ years’ experience in a similar position developing M&E frameworks, tools and systems
- Ability to design, develop and manage theories of change/ logic models and M&E frameworks/ logframes as well as use qualitative and quantitative data to test assumptions, tell powerful stories and develop learning and strategic recommendations
- Ability to think strategically, innovatively and creatively, and to execute methodically, with strong demonstrable previous experience in this area
- Advanced qualitative and quantitative research and analysis skills, including experience of survey and case study design and synthesising/ presenting data in a range of formats for a variety of audiences
- Highly literate in all standard IT packages, including advanced Excel skills
- Experience of using relevant quantitative/ qualitative data collection and analysis software
- Sound, varied and proven experience in capacity building of others in M&E, providing guidance, advice, mentoring and accompaniment in this area, whilst ensuring others’ ownership of relevant M&E processes
- Experience of bringing technological innovations/ solutions in the areas of M&E, reporting and knowledge management/ learning
- Excellent communication skills including broad expertise and experience of writing clearly and succinctly for a range of purposes and audiences
- Strong attention to detail and proven ability to manage a wide and varied workload, managing competing deadlines whilst maintaining the highest standards
- Ability to communicate clearly and persuasively across different levels, with local and international teams and stakeholders, demonstrating cultural intelligence
- Thrives in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment, works well under pressure and in a changing environment, demonstrating strong growth-oriented personal drive
- Commitment to working collaboratively, and with a high degree of autonomy and initiative, including taking ownership of planning own and others’ inputs towards agreed deadlines
- Knowledge of the UK’s Data Protection Act & General Data Protection Regulation and its implications for data capture and management
- Additional French and/ or Arabic language skills would be an advantage, but is not essential for this role
- Enthusiasm for and commitment to Mowgli Mentoring’s mission
Home based, UK
Monitoring, evaluation and learning
How to apply
Please send your CV and a covering letter to the email address below, ensuring that it outlines how your experience meets the person specification requirements, as well as your motivation for joining Mowgli Mentoring. Your cover letter should also indicate your available start date and your availability for interview on Monday 8/ Tuesday 9 June 2020.
Applications should be emailed to [email protected], noting M&E Manager in the subject line, by 09.00 UK time on Tuesday 2 June 2020.
Shortlisted candidates will be notified by Thursday 4 June with an invitation for interviews to be held on Monday 8 and Tuesday 9 June.
Please note that applicants must have the right to work in the UK as we are not able to offer sponsorship for this post.
Mowgli Mentoring is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please mention Bond when you apply for this position.