L&M Coordinator will be a key part of our small team that currently operates out of offices in Addis Ababa, Assosa and Gode (Ethiopia), Hargeisa (Somaliland) and London (UK). This is a senior and well-remunerated role.
The Pharo Foundation is a private foundation committed to the development of Africa. Our vision is an economically self-reliant Africa. Our mission is to facilitate economic independence of the African people through the promotion of sustainable livelihoods and job creation in Africa. We value sharing, passion, respect, humility and collaboration.
Since our establishment in 2011, we have funded projects worth over US$6 million primarily in Ethiopia, Somaliland/Somalia and South Sudan. These projects are contributing towards improved access to agriculture, financial services, education, health, water and sanitation.
Based on lessons learnt from these projects and wide ranging consultations we carried out, we have developed a five-year strategy (2016-20). Our strategic objective is to significantly improve the income and livelihoods of 30,000 households in Africa by 2020. We are committed to scaling up our work; improving the quality and the effectiveness of our programme selection, design and implementation based on evidence; and achieving significant and lasting improvements in the quality of life of the people whom we support.
The Learning and Monitoring Coordinator will be a key part of our small team that currently operates out of offices in Addis Ababa, Assosa and Gode (Ethiopia), Hargeisa (Somaliland) and London (the UK). The position will be based in London with regular travel to programme countries. This is a senior and well-remunerated role that will give the right candidate an excellent mix of challenge, motivation and fulfilment.
Contract type: Permanent
Salary: Highly competitive and negotiable depending on experience
Location: Knightsbridge, London
Closing date: Monday, 31 July 2017
Key duties and responsibilities
Reporting directly to the CEO, s/he will have the following key duties and responsibilities:
- Initiate, coordinate and manage feasibility studies, technical assessments, baseline and other surveys, including identification, selection and contracting of short-term consultants.
- Build knowledge and skills on programme design, research, monitoring and evaluation systems within the programme team by providing training and regular backstopping support.
- Provide technical advice on programme design and monitoring to the programme team, including development of results frameworks with appropriate indicators and programme-level monitoring frameworks at programme development stage.
- Coordinate and manage or directly carry out research that will enhance the evidence base for our and our partners’ work and that will maximise learning from the programmes.
- Coordinate the ongoing and systematic monitoring of the programmes to assess progress against objectives, to continuously learn, and to take timely corrective actions, if necessary.
- Coordinate periodic external evaluations to assess achievement of objectives and to highlight challenges faced and lessons learnt.
- Lead the development and implementation of a learning strategy that will contribute towards the improved effectiveness of our and our partners’ programme design, execution, impact and influence.
- Coordinate the development of systems and tools that are needed to mainstream learning across the programme work, and support the team in the mainstreaming of learning.
- Design and coordinate the implementation of an impact assessment system appropriate to our organisation’s mission and objectives.
- Contribute to compilation of succinct programme related progress reports to trustees.
Required qualities and skills
- Postgraduate qualification in a relevant discipline.
- A talent for logical thinking which supports the translation of complex ideas into practical programme concepts.
- Team work that builds on colleagues’ knowledge and expertise to maximise learning, enhance programme teams’ skills and confidence and improve the quality of programming.
- A self-starter with initiative and the ability to work alone when necessary.
- Minimum five years’ experience in designing, implementing and managing at least two of the following: organisational learning, research, monitoring, evaluation and impact assessment.
- Ability to be creative and innovative in generating new ideas and undertaking research.
- Experience in participatory programme development approaches and techniques.
- Experience of implementing programmes in the field – ideally in Africa.
- Experience in quantitative and qualitative data analysis, interpretation and report write-up using appropriate computer software and other systems and tools.
- An eye for detail and accuracy.
- Ability to multi-task, work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Passion for Africa and good familiarity with the continent.
- Ability and willingness to travel often to Africa, sometimes at short notice.
London and the southeast
Monitoring, evaluation and learning
Please send to firstname.lastname@example.org. with Job Ref 1/006 Learning and Monitoring Coordinator in the subject line.
- Your CV
- A covering letter briefly outlining how you meet the key duties and responsibilities and the required qualities and skills, when appropriate with evidence (maximum 1,000 words).
- A statement briefly summarising how you will go about providing technical leadership and facilitation to our senior management team to more specifically define and measure our strategic objective of “significantly improving the income and livelihoods of 30,000 households in Africa by 2020” (maximum 500 words). Please base your answer on information provided in this vacancy announcement and a four-page summary of our strategy available on our website (www.pharofoundation.org)
- Deadline for submission of applications is Monday, 31 July 2017.
Applications that do not contain all the above three requirements will not be considered.
All applicants MUST be eligible to live and work in the UK.
This is a re-advertisement, those that have previously applied need not re-apply.
Please mention Bond when you apply for this position.