Impunity Watch, an international human rights NGO, is seeking a dynamic and proactive senior professional with experience in fundraising and development in the field of human rights, justice, accountability, rule of law or peacebuilding.
Impunity Watch is an international human rights NGO that seeks to promote accountability for past atrocities, in countries emerging from a violent past. We analyse, advocate and partner to help local communities seek accountability for gross human rights abuses and for systemic injustice. Impunity Watch is a relatively small organisation. We are seeking to expand our geographic footprint through partnerships, and to foster creative, politically-informed programming. We see ourselves as a principled, reflective and dynamic organisation adapting to new global and local challenges and opportunities. We need to continue developing both our strategies and new collaborations with governments, foundations and private donors to ensure we have the requisite resources to realise our mission and our ambition.
In 2021 Impunity Watch undertakes a strategic planning process to develop its strategic plan for the period 2022-2026 informed by our core value justice, equality, emancipation and solidarity. We work in a broad range of countries, and we have offices in Burundi, Guatemala and The Netherlands. We are currently looking for a Head of Fundraising and Strategy Development, to start as soon as possible. For more information see our website and Strategic Plan 2017-2021.
Purpose and objective of the position
Impunity Watch is seeking a dynamic and proactive senior professional with experience in fundraising and development in one of the related fields of human rights, justice/accountability, rule of law and peacebuilding. The purpose of the position is to ensure Impunity Watch has the requisite strategies and resources to realise its organisational potentials promoting the voice and influence of victims in securing accountability and ending impunity for gross human rights violations. The position is also committed to contributing to the development of the organisation and the work of colleagues.
The objectives of the position are to:
- Work with the Executive Director on process of strategic planning and organisational development;
- Lead in the development of strong new partnerships with governments, trusts and foundations and individual donors built on trust and strong programming.
- Strengthen, and diversify Impunity Watch’s funding position and make Impunity Watch more resilient to manage sudden funding challenges.
- Build the institutional strategies and capacities for fundraising.
Scope of the work
- Co-lead (with the Executive Director) on strategic planning and reflections;
- Support programme staff in new programme development processes;
- Lead on fundraising at the strategic level;
- Work with leadership and support programme staff to develop a fundraising strategies for particular pieces of work;
- Identify, cultivate, solicit and steward good donor relationships;
- Make and work with programme teams attractive pitches and propositions to potential donor partners;
- Support staff in maintaining these relationships bases on trust, delivery, close collaboration and accountability;
- Coordinate the development and writing process of (strategic) fundraising proposals and if necessary also the writing of (parts) of the proposals
- Identify gaps in institutional capacity related to fundraising and take steps to reduce gaps in priority areas of improvement;
- Manage and oversee development of staff and consultants involved in fundraising and donor relations
How the work is to be carried out
The cross-cutting nature of this work will require the person to engage with colleagues across the organisation and with external stakeholders including partners and organisations we are working with, and past, current and prospective donors. The person will work predominantly with the Executive Director and the Operations Manager. As part of the role the person will also oversee and work closely with fundraising consultants where needed.
Skills, Experience and Qualifications
- A strong and proven commitment to the goals, values and ambition of Impunity Watch;
- A strategic, dynamic and creative thinker and a principled and pragmatic practitioner;
- 10-years work experience related to issues connected to dealing with the past in contexts of violence and conflict, transitional justice, human rights and development programming and/or advocacy, with at least five in a management role;
- Strong experience and track record in leading cultivating, soliciting and stewarding donor relationships with governmental, foundations and private institutional donors;
- A good and first-hand knowledge of governments, trusts and foundations with an interest justice and accountability issues;
- Proven commitment to grassroots and bottom-up approaches to justice and human rights;
- Hands-on work mentality;
- Native or near-native spoken and written English, advanced level of French and Spanish an advantage;
- Excellent written, interpersonal and verbal communication skills.
- The opportunity to work with a committed and dedicated team and partners making a difference in peoples’ lives across the world;
- Salary in line with responsibilities and experience;
- Working in an open atmosphere, with personal responsibilities and the freedom to develop your own ideas;
- We are open to considering someone working from a base outside of the Hague as long as you have a good working environment and wifi.
The Hague, Netherlands or Home-Based
Do you recognise yourself in this vacancy announcement? Then please submit electronically to [email protected], in English, the following:
- Motivation letter that specifically addresses your suitability to perform the job responsibilities details above
- Your CV
- A list of two references
Kindly state " Head of Fundraising and Strategy Development” in the subject header.
The closing date for this vacancy is 20 May 2021.
Only those offered interviews will be contacted.
Please mention Bond when you apply for this position.