Head of Engagement Medair UK
Role and Responsibilities
We’re seeking an experienced, dynamic, multi-disciplined fundraising, marketing and communications professional who can lead, develop and deliver Medair UK’s engagement with its supporters. Working as a member of Medair UK’s senior leadership team, and leading the engagement team, you will help deliver Medair UK’s strategic goals and generate financial, personnel and prayer support for Medair and it’s life-saving work assisting the world’s most vulnerable people.
To enable Medair’s life-saving work by directing and ensuring the management of Medair UK’s engagement with supporters in accordance with our values and quality standards, in support of the mission of the organisation. Is a member of the Medair UK leadership team helping frame Medair UK’s strategy and meeting Medair UK’s strategic goals. These goals focus on; achieving incremental targets for Medair UK’s financial contribution to Medair’s humanitarian programmes through successful fundraising activities and ensuring appropriate candidates from the UK for Medair’s Relief Orientation Course are recruited. In fulfilling the overall purpose of the role the values and Christian distinctiveness of the organisation will be upheld.
Medair UK is an affiliate of the Swiss-based humanitarian organisation, Medair, which brings life-saving relief and recovery to communities devastated by natural disasters, conflicts, and other crises. Together, we work in some of the most remote and difficult places on earth, empowering people to build a better future. Medair is a humanitarian organisation inspired by Christian faith. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality. For more details on our work, see www.medair.org.
You’ll be a leader with a proven track record in fundraising, marketing and communications, ideally with experience in digital fundraising. You will be able to frame strategy, translating this into deliverable plans and activities to achieve growth targets. You’ll be a compelling written and spoken communicator and have well-developed project management skills. You’ll be creative and have an understanding of the humanitarian sector, as well as what motivates people’s generosity and be able to use this understanding to engage supporters. You will be inspired by and in full agreement with Medair’s Christian values and ethos, with a vision to see Medair UK realise its potential.
Based in Kennington, SW London.
By October 2017
Initial Contract Details
- Work with the Director and the Head of Resources to plan, oversee, implement and monitor Medair UK’s strategy for engagement with the humanitarian sector and the Christian community in the UK.
- Work with the Director and Head of Resources to lead, support and develop a culture of excellence at Medair UK, ensuring that Medair UK realises its potential
- With the Director and Head of Resources take a lead in maintaining and enhancing the Christian life, health and wellbeing of Medair UK and the Medair UK team.
- Develop Medair UK’s fundraising strategy and annual plan, delivering year on year growth across all income streams with a particular emphasis on unrestricted funds.
- Engagement with Medair UK’s major donors and key supporters, ensuring each key supporter has an identified supporter journey and engagement plan which is implemented.
- Ensure all donor and supporter groups have identified supporter journeys and engagement plans, which link to the annual fundraising plan.
- Plan and deliver fundraising campaigns with all supporter groups, fully utilising the resources of the whole team in the execution of each campaign.
- Monitor fundraising performance, providing regular segmented reports on target versus actual and other key fundraising metrics, and use these reports to inform ongoing fundraising activity.
- Develop appropriate fundraising systems, processes and approach to enhance the supporter experience, whilst ensuring that all are compliant with current fundraising regulations and codes of best practice.
- Work with the direct reports to develop their respective specialism and capabilities to improve their effectiveness at engaging with Medair UK’s supporters.
- Ensure integration of all giving channels with Medair UK’s CRM, salesforce.org, including online giving.
Marketing and Communications
- Maintain awareness and understanding of the UK charity landscape and Medair UK’s position within it.
- Assess Medair UK’s USP’s and use this information to identify target audiences to engage with on an ongoing basis.
- Oversee the development, implementation, management and review of Medair UK’s marketing and communications plan, with a particular emphasis on digital marketing and communications activity.
- Ensure the Medair UK webpages and the Medair website delivers a high quality user experience and that potential financial supporters can donate easily and efficiently.
- Oversee the development, production and distribution of Medair UK’s marketing and engagement products, Medair News and Medair Prayer, ensuring they are available in various formats including digitally.
- Oversee Medair UK’s representation and presence at key Christian events, such as New Wine, Focus and Big Church Day Out ensuring maximum visibility and engagement.
- Ensure Medair UK has a dynamic presence across a range of social media platforms, with clear engagement pathways and calls to action.
- Work with the direct report to develop their respective specialism and capabilities improve their effectiveness at engaging with Medair UK’s supporters.
- Develop and implement Medair UK’s strategy and annual plan for recruiting appropriate candidates from the UK to Medair’s Relief Orientation Course.
- Oversee Medair UK’s representation and presence at key events, including Medair UK run events, to attract potential candidates for Medair’s Relief Orientation Course.
- Ensure there is an engagement plan in place for each potential candidate to assist them in their application to the ROC and their continued engagement with Medair UK.
- Develop and ensure the delivery of a coherent plan for engaging with UK nationals who are working for Medair in the field, in collaboration the Director, the Medair HR team, and Medair’s communication officers.
- Develop and ensure the delivery of a coherent plan for enabling the engagement of UK nationals who are ex-Medair field workers to maximise their potential contribution to Medair UK’s engagement with the humanitarian and Christian community in the UK.
Responsibilities common to all staff
- Model Medair values and beliefs, and contribute to the shared spiritual life of the Medair UK team, including leading and participating in regular organisational team prayer meetings.
- Keep line manager informed of all relevant and timely information.
- Record information as necessary and comply at all times with requirements for handling personal / sensitive data.
- Participate actively and fully in performance management and development activities, monitor and evaluate progress towards goals. Report and complete necessary administration.
- Act as an ambassador for Medair UK at all times when liaising externally and internally.
- Ensure consistent implementation of Medair brand across all relevant activities.
Qualifications and experience
- Recognised Fundraising, Marketing and/or Communications (ideally at Masters level or equivalent)
- Line management
- Project management
- Excellent knowledge of English (spoken and written)
Competencies – ESSENTIAL:
- Minimum 5 years’ fundraising, marketing and communications experience.
- Understanding of fundraising regulatory environment
- Good understanding of changing fundraising trends including digital fundraising
- Microsoft Office 365
- Proficiency in the use of CRM packages for delivering fundraising results
- Capable of working in a multicultural environment.
- Ability to handle a wide and varied workload and work on own initiative
- Able to work to deadlines
- Inspired by and in full agreement with Medair’s Christian values and ethos
- Willing to contribute to the spiritual life of the team including prayer meetings
Competencies – DESIRABLE:
- Experience in Charity sector
- Experience in relief / development work
- Experience of working with volunteers
- Experience and proficiency in the use of Salesforce.org
- Understanding of humanitarian issues.
- This is a position based in Kennington, SW London with possible UK and international travel.
- Willingness to be flexible in terms of hours worked at occasional, but inevitable moments of crisis and opportunity particularly evening and weekends.
£40,789 per annum
NOTE: In order to maintain the organisation’s Christian ethos, there is a genuine occupational requirement for the holder of this Medair UK leadership position to be a committed Christian.
Please mention Bond when you apply for this position.