The Europe Executive Director is a member of ONE’s leadership team and responsible for the overall strategic direction and effectiveness of ONE’s activities in the UK, Brussels, France, Germany, the Netherlands, Italy and Ireland.
ONE is a global campaigning and advocacy organisation with over nine million members from around the world who are committed to the fight against extreme poverty and preventable disease, particularly in Africa. We hold world leaders to account for the promises made to the poorest, and we press them to support better policies and aid that is more effective. We also work with leaders in Africa to support greater democracy, accountability and transparency and advocate for increased domestic investments in development so that these resources can be effectively deployed. With HQ in Washington, DC, we operate from North America, Europe and Africa.
ONE’s members are critical to this work. They come from every walk of life and from across the political spectrum. They’re artists and activists, faith and business leaders, students and scientists. They take action day in, day out — organising, mobilising, educating, and advocating so that people will have the chance not just to survive, but to thrive.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Employees of ONE work in a collaborative and creative environment towards a common goal of ending extreme poverty and preventable disease. When you work for ONE, you will receive an excellent benefits package along with the opportunity to contribute to a mission larger than your job, your career and even the organisation.
The Europe Executive Director is a member of ONE’s leadership team and responsible for the overall strategic direction and effectiveness of ONE’s activities in the UK, Brussels, France, Germany, the Netherlands, Italy and Ireland. The role collaborates with senior colleagues globally to set the agenda for ONE’s advocacy and campaigning work in Europe and will be able to demonstrate strategic and effective leadership across the organisation. The post holder will line manage the Germany Director, UK Director, EU & France Director, Italy & The Netherlands Director, Europe Operations Director and an Executive Assistant
This position reports directly to the CEO and can be based in London, Brussels, Paris or Berlin with frequent international travel to ONE’s European locations and occasional travel to Washington DC and other countries. If based outside London, a significant amount of travel to London will be required.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL
- Lead, engage and motivate a team of around 50 staff across Europe, including line management of five Directors.
- Ensure the optimal functioning of the Europe team including effective performance management, recruitment and planning.
- Oversee the effective management of annual budgets for European teams, working with the Europe Operations Director and Chief Operating Officer.
- Spearhead efforts to develop and sustain high level, positive and productive relationships with government officials, academics, the media, NGOs and other relevant sectors across European markets.
- Lead the development, implementation and evaluation of ONE’s Europe strategy with European governments, institutions and civil society; supporting Market Directors to secure high-impact partnerships and outcomes.
- Foster the development of champions and other influencers on pertinent issues from a range of communities and industries.
- Collaborate with Market Directors, Global Policy and Global Strategy leads to establish a portfolio of relevant policy research and positions to support Europe Advocacy objectives.
- Act as spokesperson for the media, and represent ONE on panels and participate in roundtables and stakeholder events.
- Partner with Global Marketing and Campaigns colleagues to build our membership in Europe and create innovative and impactful campaigns.
- Work with the Chief Development Officer and others to generate and sustain financial support for ONE from European foundations and high net worth individuals.
- Contribute as a thought leader within ONE and help create a learning environment for the team and organisation.
- Other duties as appropriate for the role.
WHAT WE NEED FROM YOU
- 15+ years’ relevant experience within government, academia, international development or the private sector. (Substantial experience within the non-profit sector and/or government is desirable.)
- 10+ years’ experience of managing high-performing teams, and of coaching and mentoring senior staff.
- A proven leader and motivator of senior managers and staff, with a demonstrable commitment to best business practice and a clear track record of working within and developing strong, diverse teams of people with multiple perspectives and talents.
- Significant experience of operational and fiscal management, in particular overseeing the development and evaluation of high level strategic plans and accounting for large budgets across multiple sites.
- Significant experience of risk, crisis and reputation management.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to confidently debate our issues across multiple platforms and to a diverse set of stakeholders and critics.
- A demonstrable understanding of ONE’s policy areas and the relationship between campaigns, media, advocacy and policy.
- A clear and demonstrable appreciation of ONE’s non-partisan approach.
- Excellent interpersonal, negotiation and collaboration skills.
- Proven experience of cultivating external relationships across international development, NGO, government, academia, media, business and culture sectors at the very highest levels.
- Experience with grant makers and other funders is strongly preferred, as is an understanding of rules around ethics and lobbying.
- Experience of working in a global and matrixed organisation.
- Ability to work within a fast-paced environment, be flexible, resourceful and innovative.
- An appreciation and understanding of African politics, culture and society.
- Understanding of the complexities surrounding collaboration in a global and matrixed organisation.
- Independent professional approach, able to lead others in contributing to the overall goal of the organisation.
- Decisive, with a resourceful approach and results focus.
- Critical thinking and a strategic mindset.
- Significant emotional intelligence in high pressure and stressful situations.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and relationship-building skills.
- Demonstrable commitment to diversity and respectful for all.
Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of other European languages would be an advantage.
Up to 25% international travel, mainly to ONE’s European offices with occasional travel to Washington DC and other locations.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Standard office work environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Berlin, Brussels, Paris or London
If you are ready to join the fight against extreme poverty and preventable disease, please submit a resume to this opening at ONE jobs.
ONE is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, age, or other legally protected characteristics.
ONE is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants for employment to when an applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to compete for a job they make request it orally or in writing; ONE will process requests for reasonable accommodation and will provide reasonable accommodations where appropriate, in a prompt and efficient manner.
Due to the high volume of inquiries that ONE receives, we thank all candidates for their interest yet only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please mention Bond when you apply for this position.