The role of the Director of Finance and People is to ensure that Bond is a healthy, viable, happy, transparent organisation both for the short and long term.
The role is responsible for the financial and people strategy and immediate oversight of finances, operations and HR. The Director of F&P will work with the CEO and Leadership Team colleagues to lead the organisation in a clear and collegiate way. The role works closely with the Treasurer and the Finance and People Committee of the Bond Board.
This is a permanent position.
This is a full time role, but we are open to it being done part time and encourage applications for part-time and flexible working
1. Operational Leadership:
- Work with the CEO and LT to take responsibility for the operations of the organisation.
- Ensure there is an appropriate operational structure in the organisation linked to the strategy
- Lead on the annual planning and budgeting process and support the Operations Manager in detailed planning and understanding our impact
- Work closely with Directors to ensure Bond business and risks are managed.
- Where necessary taking strong and remedial action to ensure the financial viability of the organisation
- Motivate, manage and develop the Finance and Organisational Effectiveness Team to deliver high-quality, high-impact work in pursuit of Bond’s goals.
2. Financial leadership:
- Be responsible for the financial health of the organisation and the link with long-term strategy and annual plans
- Ensure the financial strategy of the organisation is appropriate for the short and long-term health of the organisation
- Ensure the financial management and reporting - management accounts and statutory accounts and VAT Systems- conform to best practice and help steer the organisation
- Ensure that all the organisation’s financial practices are in line with statutory regulations and legislation. Oversee payroll, pensions and ensure all payment of taxes and any submissions to HMRC are done in a timely manner
- Analyse the finance climate and trends to inform annual and wider strategic plan
- Ensure grants are compatible with strategy and integrated into the finances and operations of the organisation, including support for fundraising activities where needed.
- Work with the Finance Manager to oversee the payment systems and checking and authorising payments, ensuring the bank mandate is up to date and liaising with the bank managers when necessary
- Oversee implementation and support for effective and appropriate financial systems and software
- Work with Director of CMT to ensure clarity on whether unrestricted income streams are viable and contribute a clear profit to the organisation
- Provide regular updates for LT and staff on the financial health of the organisation
- Work with the Finance Manager and Auditors to ensure a smooth Audit process at the financial year end.
- Overall responsibility for the people strategy to ensure it is relevant and appropriate for the size of the organisation; including policies, process and interaction with staff body on people matters. This includes:
- Ensure People policies, contracts and processes conform with sector good practice and are in line with statutory requirements and legislation, especially as Bond moves towards hybrid working
- Oversee management of current /ongoing people initiatives that support us to get to a resilient, safe, learning and joyful culture
- Accelerate progress on equity, diversity and inclusion
- Analyse rolling People data and provide regular updates for LT and staff on direction of People strategy
- Oversee management of HR processes and systems
- Managing change processes
- Supporting CEO on culture development
- Work with the CEO on staff body liaison
- Be the designated person responsible for safeguarding in Bond itself.
4. Leadership of the organisation:
- Contribute to a strong Leadership Team working effectively together to create and sustain a positive, impactful organisational culture
- Lead in a way that is open, dynamic, collaborative and influential
- Continue to learn and develop self and support others to do the same
5. Board support:
- Work with the CEO to support the board and ensure the production of high quality board papers.
- Lead on liaison with Treasurer and support to the finance and people committees
- Production of the regular reporting frameworks (management accounts, budgets).
- Development of papers as they relate to Bond’s business model and operations.
- Responsible for conveying the current and future risks in the organisation.
- Oversee the annual plan (with LT colleagues and Operations Manager) and advise the board on the nuances and implications of the annual plan.
- Advise the board on the long-term financial strategy for the organisation.
- Attend Board meetings and develop positive relationships with trustees
6. Operational support functions:
- Responsible for the IT and facilities in the organisation. This includes:
- Oversee management of IT infrastructure and office facilities
- Overall responsibility for Bond’s move to hybrid organisation, including negotiations with landlords and ensuring the right policies and procedures are in place
7. Legal and risk management
- Monitoring the risks in the organisation and key liaison on legal issues.
- Company Secretary – responsible for all essential submissions to the Charity Commission
- Management of risk register
- Donor due diligence processes
- Seeking legal advice on relevant issues.
8. Supporting the Bond Membership:
- Represent Bond at relevant external events/meetings
- Support Bond’s finance and funding work with members and other support functions in the sector, including engagement with FCDO, as needed
- Manage the Senior Advisor responsible for Funding.
- Financial knowledge and experience:
- Track record in having designed and led financial strategy
- Qualified accountant or related finance qualification
- Experience of running a finance function, budget cycles and managing reserves
- High level of financial literacy
- Superior attention to detail
- Able to communicate complex financial information so that it is accessible
- Proven experience of working with Boards and providing clear financil information to support good governance.
HR and people management:
- Good knowledge of HR practices and employment law
- Strong communication skills and the ability to listen to the needs of others
- The ability to remain calm in stressful situations and deal well with conflict
- Experience in running, or overseeing, an HR function and HR related change processes
- Experience in ensuring that an organisation is equitable in its approach and an exemplar in equity, diversity and inclusion
- People management and development expertise.
Leadership and team work:
- Experience of organisational leadership and operating as part of a senior team
- An empathetic manager – providing support, coaching, direction and inspiration to a dynamic team so that they are thriving professionally personally and getting results
- A great team player – clear on their strengths and needs to thrive in a team
- High levels of self-awareness, openness and commitment to learning
- Able to collaborate effectively and contribute to areas that are outside expertise.
Relationships and communications:
- Good external communicator and listener – able to understand and build on our members expertise
- Presentation skills and able to represent Bond externally.
Other personal attributes:
- An interest in and passion for international development, including knowledge of how the sector works
- Experience of managing IT and Operations
- Strategic, analytical and creative thinking skills
- Able to innovate and open to new ways of doing things
- Ability to work in a small team, and on own initiative, to set and achieve goals
- Highly digitally enabled
- Strong morals, ethics and sound judgement
- A champion of internal systems and processes.
- CIPD L7 or equivalent qualification
- Experience of culture change process and organisational design
- Good knowledge of IT and technology developments, including knowledge of digital purchasing systems
- Experience of Financial Force
- Experience in business models and an interest in helping the international development sector to transform its funding
- Experience of working with and reporting to the FCDO
- Fundraising experience - creating new opportunities, experience of bid writing for institutional and corporate funders
- Experience of developing, supporting and investing in unrestricted income streams
Bond offers a competitive salary and benefits package including:
- Interest free season ticket loan
- 27 days leave as standard for all employees. Additional staff privilege days, normally the period between Christmas and New Year
- 7% pension contributions (staff pay 3.5%)
- Flexible working hours and perkbox benifits
London and the southeast
Finance Leadership Management
How to apply
To apply, please send a CV and covering letter outlining why you are the right candidate for this role by midday on 2nd August 2021. We looking to do the first round of interviews on the 5th August and the second round on the 10th August 2021.
If you would like an informal discussion about the role, please contact Romana on [email protected]
Bond and equal opportunities
Bond recognises the positive values of diversity and works to advance equity and challenge discrimination. We encourage and welcome applicants from people of all backgrounds. In order to assess and ensure the continued effectiveness of Bond’s Equal Opportunities Policy, all applicants are asked to complete a short questionnaire when applying. You are not obliged to answer the questions but the more information you supply the more effectively we can monitor our equal opportunity practices. Completion of all questions is voluntary and failure to answer any question(s) will not affect your application in any way.
The information you supply will be treated in confidence and will not be seen by any member of the selection panel responsible for the appointment. The questionnaire will be detached from your CV and cover letter, stored anonymously and used purely to provide statistics for monitoring purposes.
Please mention Bond when you apply for this position.