An exciting opportunity for a exceptionally motivated professional, with strong business development experience and a track record of success with relevant clients and funders, to join the Business Development team of a dynamic British company.
Position: Business Development Manager
Location: Sidcup, Greater London (partial remote working arrangement)
Contract Type: Permanent and full-time
Salary: £34,000 to £45,000 per annum (commensurate with experience) plus benefits
Development Pathways is the leading provider of Social Protection services to a variety of donors worldwide. Our focus areas are social policy, social and economic analysis, and management information systems for social protection. Being a thought leader and acknowledged world leader in these areas, we are continuing to grow our portfolio and footprint.
Our Business Development team currently comprises a Head of Business Development, this role, and two junior roles. We anticipate team growth in the medium term. The team is responsible for driving our growth, leading on opportunity identification and proposal preparation, drawing on inputs from our technical teams. As the most senior role reporting to the Head of BD, you will lead on a range of opportunities, operating increasingly independently across the spectrum of Business Development activities. You will deputise for the Head of Business Development where necessary, and there may be opportunities to line manage a junior staff member. You will also contribute to improving our Business Development processes and tools.
Responsibilities and Duties
The responsibilities of the Business Development Manager will cover the following areas:
- Identify and generate business opportunities for Development Pathways. This will include working closely with the technical teams to develop innovative opportunities, engaging with new donors, building our presence in countries, and developing new products and services.
- Lead and support the development of bids for a wide range of clients, including managing inputs from technical teams, building budgets, assembling teams of internal and external staff (associates and consultants), and drafting key components of bids.
- Build good relations with clients and donors to position Development Pathways in the market place, in particular with potential new donors.
- Strengthen Development Pathways’ links with consultants, and help build our network of associates.
- Support the strengthening of our BD processes and tools.
- Deputise where necessary for the Head of Business Development, and take on line management of junior staff as required.
- Represent Development Pathways in a range of fora, in particular international business development opportunities.
- Lead in the design and development of events that position Development Pathways within the market place.
- Support the communications team to ensure that our communications are tailored to building Pathways’ international profile and position us for future opportunities.
- Undertake other activities as requested.
Essential Qualifications and Skills:
- A relevant university degree in International Development, Social Protection, Gender Studies or another relevant area
- At least five years’ experience in international development, the humanitarian sector, consulting or another relevant sector
- Significant experience and successful track record in business development in international development, the humanitarian sector, consulting or another relevant sector
- Expertise in developing proposal budgets
- Expertise in assembling mixed teams of internal and external staff for assignments
- Familiarity with key clients and funders, including UN bodies, the World Bank and other international financial institutions, bilateral government donors such as the UK’s Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office and Australia’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, and major grant-giving philanthropic foundations
- Excellent organisation skills, including an ability to work to deadlines, manage multiple demands, and deliver high quality work under pressure
- High level professional written and verbal English
- Excellent communications skills, including in cross-cultural environments
- Commitment to values of international development, social justice and equality
- Experience with social protection programmes
- A relevant second language, e.g. French, Arabic
- A Master’s degree in a relevant area
You will be reporting to the Head of Business Development.
Terms of Employment and Benefits
This is a permanent and full-time post. Along with the salary, the successful candidate would receive an attractive package of the following:
- Fulfilling work – working to make a difference to some of the world’s most underserved communities.
- Flexible work – Development Pathways offers employees flexible work hours and remote work options.
- Generous time off – recharge with 30-holiday entitlement plus standard bank holidays.
- Travel the World – we are committed to seeing our work in action, all around the world up to 3 weeks in a year (when permitted).
- Excellent health and well-being provision – access to the company private health care scheme (after the satisfactory completion of the probationary period), pension scheme and Employee Assistance Programme.
- Commitment to professional development opportunities – we encourage our staff to participate in professional learning and development.
- Provision of a company laptop and working at home benefit
London and the southeast
How to apply
We invite interested candidates, who meet the requirements, to submit their applications, by including:
- A Curriculum Vitae (CV) specifying your qualifications, education and relevant work experience.
- A cover letter explaining why you are applying for this position, and how your recent relevant experience and skills meet the requirements for the position of Business Development Manager.
- Applicants must have the right to live and work in the UK.
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and we retain the right to close this role without notice. Therefore, interested candidates are encouraged to submit their application as soon as possible.
- Due to the high number of applications expected, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- Applications should be sent to [email protected].
- The closing date for this vacancy will be the 14th February 2021.
Development Pathways is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate and support diversity and are committed to providing a work environment that is inclusive and free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are based on individual qualifications without regard to race, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify, national origin, family or parental status, or disability status.
Applicants should be aware of our privacy notice on our website.
Shortlisted candidates: you will be invited to participate in an interview and complete a written assessment.
Please mention Bond when you apply for this position.