Advocacy Coordinator (UK Parliament)
The WaterAid campaigns team facilitates international advocacy across the organisation, which requires political astuteness, advocacy, policy, mobilisation and communication.
As our UK Parliament Advocacy Coordinator you will lead our influencing of the UK Parliament, working across political parties and associated groups to raise awareness of WaterAid's work, to achieve the changes needed to ensure universal access to safe water, sanitation and hygiene.
This is a maternity cover full time for one year starting from June 2019.
Some international travel may be required.
In this role, you will develop and deliver WaterAid's UK advocacy strategy, including a comprehensive UK parliamentary strategy to influence the development policy and practices of the UK government, parliament, MPs and relevant parliamentary institutions. Alongside this you will develop strategic linkages between our UK parliamentary work and other institutional (EU, UN, AU) advocacy work and our Country Programmes.
- Develop and deliver a constituency lobbying strategy by supporting the relevant engagement teams to engage WaterAid supporters with local constituency lobbying and campaigning, based on and linked to the UK campaigns strategy.
- Work on monitoring and measuring impact of UK advocacy and campaigning work to maximise effectiveness, efficiencies and impact.
- Be responsible for Policy and Campaigns Department sign-off on all campaign messages to UK supporters.
- Co-ordinate contact with UK government ministerial teams, parliament and MPs, working closely with the Advocacy Coordinator who leads on influencing and other government departments.
- Maintain a sophisticated and detailed understanding and analysis of UK political developments, to inform WaterAid's global advocacy work, and be responsible for communicating this to relevant people across the organisation and with allies
- Maintain regular communication and initiate partnerships with UK civil society allies and networks, including representing WaterAid on relevant external groups, to share information, join mobilisation efforts and collaborate on opportunities, developing joint strategies and campaigns
You will have a successful track record of extensive parliamentary advocacy work, demonstrated by examples of impact on policy change and experience of using policy, research, lobbying, public campaigning, media and digital work to influence a political agenda
To be successful, you'll need:
- to demonstrate sound political judgement and sensitivity and proven experience of engaging with and influencing decision makers at the highest levels in the UK Government, including having excellent relationships
- experience of working and communicating with supporters and supporter groups; an understanding of supporter retention and development
- extensive knowledge of UK international development policy.
- to demonstrate effective management of finances, and be able to effectively utilise financial processes and information
- proven experience of representing organisations at a high level, as a spokesperson in the media and / or in high-level lobby meetings
- excellent analytical and critical thinking skills and proven experience of strategy development, including monitoring and evaluation
- strong interpersonal skills and ability to successfully manage complex and sensitive organisational relationships to achieve cross-organisational goals
- excellent and accurate written and verbal communications skills in English, proven ability to use communications to influence
- ability to travel within the UK, international and occasionally work anti-social working hours
- commitment to WaterAid's values and a working style that reflects these
WaterAid benefits include:
- 36 days holiday (including Bank Holidays)
- We offer a generous pension plan with employer contribution of up to 10%
- Flexible working conditions
- Season Ticket Loan
- Free annual eye tests
- Pay as You Earn training scheme
- Pay as You Give charitable giving scheme
Please mention Bond when you apply for this position.