Planning and practice in monitoring, evaluation and learning
Take this course to improve and strengthen your skills and learn more about designing and adapting different approaches and methods for monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEL).
This course introduces key MEL systems, processes, methods and tools. Using a case study you will gain hands on experience in designing a MEL plan. You will also have the opportunity to share experiences, challenges and lessons of doing MEL with peers, and can bring along your own case study for peer review.
Who is it for?
This course is suitable for people with some experience of monitoring and evaluation, who want to learn in more depth how to develop and set up a MEL system for either a project, programme or organisational strategy.
What you will learn
- What the current MEL debates and trends are, and how these influence INGO MEL design and implementation.
- What the key elements and processes of a MEL system are.
- How to design a MEL system using a systematic approach.
- How to write clear outcome statements, define MEL questions and identify key indicators.
- A range of quantitative and qualitative MEL data collection methods, and how to select these appropriately for a specific context.
- How to write a MEL plan and an evaluation plan.
- Different approaches to evaluation.
- How to communicate MEL findings to different audiences.
- Current MEL trends and drivers
- Overview of MEL system and cycle
- Key terms used in MEL
- Developing a MEL system and plan
- Defining key MEL questions and indicators
- MEL data collection methods
- Using a case study to apply the above concepts to a practical situation
- Practise collecting and analysing quantitative and qualitative evaluation data and presenting key findings
- Case study group work to decide on key data collection methods and tools
- Completion and peer review of a MEL plan for a case study programme
- Approaches to evaluation
- Designing, sharing and reviewing an evaluation plan
- Communicating evaluation findings to different audiences
- Practical solutions for addressing MEL challenges
- Practice planning and conducting evaluation and giving feedback
- Bond members >£2M annual spend
- Bond members <£2M annual spend
* 10% off if you book 8 weeks in advance; 5% off 3 or more bookings.
Contact us for special discounts if you're a student or unemployed.
off if you book early*
off multiple bookings*
15 places available
18 places available