Introduction to monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning
This one-day course is designed to introduce the principles of monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning (MEAL). It will enable you to understand the core terms, principles and approaches of MEAL that underpin good quality project/programme planning and implementation.
The course uses a "do to learn" approach and includes some self-reflection work on your MEAL skills and your organisation’s current practices.
If you're also looking for practice using a range of MEAL tools, take this course together with Tools and methods for MEAL, or if you already have some experience and want to deepen your skills, try our Planning and practice in MEAL.
What you will learn
By the end of the course you will be able to:
- Explain why MEAL is important and what it is
- Define key terms used in MEAL practice
- Explain the purpose of different types of tools used in MEAL
- Explain the purpose and content of MEAL plans
- Define indicators for MEAL at different levels of a programme plan
- Describe the different approaches to evaluation and apply some concepts to critically review my organisation’s practice
1. The what and why of MEAL
- Why do monitoring and evaluation?
- Some key terms in MEAL
- How monitoring and evaluation relate to accountability and learning
- The main MEAL approaches
2. MEAL interest groups and the MEAL cycle
- MEAL interest groups
- The MEAL cycle/system
- Self-reflection on current MEAL strengths and competencies
3. Results chain and introduction to MEAL tools
- Results chain/logic model
- Tools for data collection, analysis and communication
4. Indicators and MEAL plans
- Defining indicators
- Intro to MEAL plan format
- Small group work on case study
5. Evaluations - what difference are you making?
- How to understand what difference your work makes
- Evaluation approaches, including some key issues to consider
- Reflection on evaluation practice in your organisation – strengths and challenges
- Open forum questions and comments
- Bond members >£2M annual spend
- Bond members <£2M annual spend
* 10% off if you book 8 weeks in advance; 5% off 3 or more bookings.
Contact us for special discounts if you're a student or unemployed.
off if you book early*
off multiple bookings*
Monday, November 4, 2019
10 places available
Monday, February 10, 2020
18 places available