Impact assessment and evaluation
What is impact assessment, what are the different types of evaluation and how can they be used to assess impact? This course enables you to design an impact assessment framework for your project, identify domains of change, theories of change and other approaches to assessing impact.
You may also be interested in our Theory of change essentials course.
Two days of live interactive online sessions, plus groupwork and facilitator coaching between the sessions.
Total time commitment over the period of the course is 16 hours:
- 1 hour's introductory online activities
- 10 hours of live online sessions
- 5 hours of intersession group assignments
Who is it for?
This course is suitable for people responsible for understanding and measuring impact, or planning to implement impact assessment in their organisation. It is also suitable for people designing, commissioning or undertaking evaluations.
What you will learn
By the end of this workshop you will be able to:
- Explain what is meant by impact assessment and how it differs from and complements the processes of monitoring and evaluation.
- Identify key challenges that you face in conducting impact assessments.
- Describe different types of evaluation and how they can be used for impact assessment.
- Design an impact assessment framework for a case study project.
- Identify domains of change and theories of change for planning for impact assessment.
- List and describe different tools and methods for assessing impact.
- Discuss how the results of impact assessments might be used in learning, reporting and being more accountable to both donors and stakeholders.
This course will be delivered entirely online, through facilitated live sessions (using Zoom) as well as individual and group activities on the Bond learning platform. We work hard to make sure you get the same level of interaction and facilitator support as you would in our training room. You’ll work in breakout rooms, use case studies and co-create documents – all online.
All live session times are in accordance to British Summer Time (BST). Check the live session start and end time in your timezone here (please ensure you choose the right date when checking timezones).
Live session 1: Tuesday 6 October 2020, 9.30 - 16.00 BST
- Impact assessment or evaluation? Differences and complementarities
- Using a Theory of Change approach to assess impact
- Can logframes be used to assess impact and how to write indicators for impact assessment
- Identifying domains of change for assessing impact
- Planning for impact assessment: approaches and steps
- Plan for case study task and review of the day
Group work: pproximately 4.5 hours' additional work required between 7-16 October 2020, including 1 hour coaching session on 13 October
- Designing an impact assessment process
- Areas of enquiry and setting baselines
- Methods for gathering information
Live session 2: Monday 19 October 2020, 9.30 - 16.00 BST
- Presentation of case studies and synthesis of learning
- Reporting for learning and accountability
- The way forward
Bookings will close at 15:00 BST the last working day before the course to enable us to email participants the joining instructions ahead of the first live session.
- Bond members >£2M annual spend
- Bond members <£2M annual spend
* 10% off if you book 8 weeks in advance; 5% off 3 or more bookings.
Contact us for special discounts if you're a student or unemployed.
off if you book early*
off multiple bookings*
Tuesday, October 6, 2020 to Monday, October 19, 2020
13 places available