How change happens: demonstrating the impact of your advocacy
This course supports experienced campaigns and advocacy specialists to improve the strategic clarity and effectiveness of their work.
It provides an opportunity to learn new approaches, share experience and reflect on the role campaigns and advocacy play in how change happens. You will learn how to develop a theory of change and how to integrate effective monitoring and evaluation as part of strategy development and planning.
This exciting course will help your work to have greater impact. You’ll explore how to ensure your advocacy and campaigning delivers real change in policy and practice.
Three half days of live interactive online sessions, plus individual and group work between the sessions.
Who is it for?
This course is suitable for people who are experienced in advocacy and campaigning. This includes staff responsible for design and delivery of campaign strategies and leaders of campaigns and advocacy work within an organisation.
What you will learn
- How to strengthen advocacy and campaigns by using action learning and theory of change approaches.
- How to strengthen campaign and advocacy strategy design by thinking about how change happens and context analysis.
- How to test and critically analyse advocacy strategies at the design stage.
- How to develop a monitoring and evaluation (M&E) approach for advocacy, including how to select indicators and monitoring tools.
- How to improve the effectiveness of campaigns and demonstrate and report results by using monitoring information.
- How to strengthen accountability and learning through evaluations or learning reviews.
- You will develop an individual plan to apply learning to campaigns and strengthen campaign effectiveness organisationally.
This course will be delivered entirely online, through facilitated live sessions (using Zoom) as well as individual and group activities on the Bond learning platform. We work hard to make sure you get the same level of interaction and facilitator support as you would in our training room. You’ll work in breakout rooms, use case studies and co-create documents – all online.
- Campaign effectiveness – challenges and key learning from campaigns
- How change happens – uncovering assumptions in campaign strategies
- Theory of change approach and advocacy and campaigns
- Improving advocacy strategy design – campaign pre-mortem approach
- Developing an M&E approach for advocacy
- Monitoring tools for advocacy
- Using monitoring information and feedback to adapt your strategy
- Using M&E to demonstrate progress and results
- How to commission an evaluation and conduct an internal learning review
- Applying campaigns effectiveness approaches – individual action plans and troubleshooting
All times below are in British Summer Time (BST)
1 hour's online activities prior to the first live session
Monday 14 September 2020: live online session
1.5 hour's online activities between live sessions
Tuesday 15 September 2020: live online sessions
1 hour's online activities between live sessions
Thursday 17 September 2020: live online sessions
- Bond members >£2M annual spend
- Bond members <£2M annual spend
* 10% off if you book 8 weeks in advance; 5% off 3 or more bookings.
Contact us for special discounts if you're a student or unemployed.
off if you book early*
off multiple bookings*
10 places available