Developing an advocacy strategy
This course showcases the role that effective advocacy and campaigns can play in influencing change. It will take you through the process of developing an advocacy strategy and how to make choices about the appropriate approach and tactics for your issue and organisation.
A mix of examples, group based discussion and practical activities will help you to develop new skills and techniques that will make your advocacy and campaigning effective.
Two half days of live interactive online sessions, plus individual and group work between the sessions.
Who is it for?
This course is for people who are new to advocacy and campaigning, who want to understand the role that advocacy can play in influencing change and those who want to make their advocacy and campaigning more effective.
What you will learn
- How advocacy and campaigns can influence change and how to develop an appropriate approach for your organisation and issue
- How to develop an advocacy strategy using the steps in the advocacy cycle
- How to use analytical tools to inform and test an advocacy strategy
- How to develop campaign messages and tailor them for key audiences
- How to select the appropriate approach and tactics to support a campaign
- Simple monitoring and evaluation methods that you can use to support campaign effectiveness
This course will be delivered entirely online, through facilitated live sessions (using Zoom) as well as individual and group activities on the Bond learning platform. We work hard to make sure you get the same level of interaction and facilitator support as you would in our training room. You’ll work in breakout rooms, use case studies and co-create documents – all online.
- What is advocacy? What is campaigning?
- Advocacy strategy development process – the advocacy cycle
- Analysis for advocacy – stakeholder analysis and mapping
- Developing advocacy messages
- Advocacy approaches and tactics
- Planning, monitoring and evaluation for advocacy
- Learn from other campaigns about effective advocacy
All live session times refer to British Summer Time (BST)
Live Session 1: Advocacy: The basics 29th June at 11.00 - 12.30 BST
60 - 90 mins individual/group work before the next live session
Live Session 2: Advocacy: Analysis for Strategy 1st July at 9.30 - 11.00 BST
60 - 90 mins individual/group work before the afternoon session
Live Session 3: Advocacy: Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation 1st July at 14.00 - 15.30 BST
Bookings will close at 15:00 BST the last working day before the course to enable us to email participants the joining instructions ahead of the first live session.
- Bond members >£2M annual spend
- Bond members <£2M annual spend
* 10% off if you book 8 weeks in advance; 5% off 3 or more bookings.
Contact us for special discounts if you're a student or unemployed.
off if you book early*
off multiple bookings*
Monday, January 25, 2021