Adeem Younis - Bond Humanitarian Award nominee
Adeem Younis, founder and chairman of Penny Appeal, has been nominated for a Bond Humanitarian Award. Bilal Hassam, creative director at Penny Appeal, explains why he nominated him.
"Founder of international humanitarian relief agency, Penny Appeal, Adeem Younis is a serial entrepreneur who has pioneered positive social change through channelling his diverse business experience into the charity sector.
Imbued with a deep sense of responsibility after losing his father at a young age, Adeem Younis founded his first business, aged 17, above the pizza shop he worked in. He went on to found SingleMuslim.com, which would become the world’s largest Muslim Matrimonial platform with over 2 million members and 50,000+ people finding their life partners on the site.
In 2009 Adeem founded Penny Appeal, whose vision is to transform small change into a big difference. The double Guinness world record-holding charity raised just over £100,000 in 2012 while in 2017, owing to Adeem’s visionary and service-style leadership, Penny Appeal is close to raising £22 million+ with over 200 staff in the UK, 2000 more abroad working in over 35 countries. Adeem has also pioneered sustainable domestic relief programmes, insisting charity must begin at home; amongst the work underway here in the UK are feeding programmes for the hungry and homeless, refugee support work, domestic violence counselling and a fostering and adoption agency.
Penny Appeal has collected a long list of awards since its inception, however the success of this movement has been Adeem’s incredible drive to keep pushing boundaries, engage new frontiers and not give into complacency.
Adeem constantly pushes the team to explore new opportunities, innovate and improve on every level. His resounding successes deserve to be celebrated and recognised at the highest of levels.
Adeem often says “Team work makes the dream work” and it’s this team that have led our phenomenal growth this past year, which includes:
- Fundraising growth from £13.8 million to £22m+
- Estimated social media reach of 20 million+
- Registered Penny Appeal in South Africa and Canada
- Recognised as largest provider of Orphan Care in The Gambia by the new President of The Gambia
- Official Partnerships with James Caan CBE, Baroness Warsi Foundation, Yusuf Islam / Cat Stevens and Mayor of London
- Unique twinning of all international campaigns with domestic sister projects and launch of ‘Penny Appeal @Home’ UK programmes department.
- Hosted over 40,000 people attend in over 50 events across 30+ cities in the UK
- Countless media features for ground-breaking work at home and abroad including responding to Grenfell Tower Fire
Founded and led by young people and supported by the best of private and public-sector, Penny Appeal is more than a charity, it’s a movement for positive transformation founded and led by Adeem Younis and we’re just getting started!"